Where do I Obtain Native Plants?
These are some nurseries which sell Florida native plants. They may be wholesale nurseries which will also sell retail. However, they may not be able to quickly attend to walk-in customers. Be sure call ahead for address, hours or an appointment.
To locate additional nurseries in Florida, contact the Florida Association of Native Nurseries on the Web at http://www.FloridaNativeNurseries.org. Please note that many nurseries which sell Florida natives also sell non-native plants.
- Alexander Landscaping & Plant Farm, Davie. 954-472-5039, www.alexfarm.com
- Casey’s Corner Nursery, Homestead. 305-248-7284.
- Citizens for a Better South Florida, Miami. 305-648-0000, www.abettersouthflorida.org
- Florida NatureScape - Native Nursery & Landscape Design, Davie. 954-540-4061
- Jesse Durko's Nursery, Davie. 954-873-4563
- Kelly's Tropicals, Homestead. 786-444-7714, http://kellystropicals.com
- Native Tree Nursery, Goulds. 305-247-4499, http://nativetreenursery.com
- Plant Creations, Homestead. 305-248-8147, www.plantcreations.com
- Pro Native Consulting, sales in Goulds. 786-488-3101, www.pronative.com
- Richard Lyons Nursery, Goulds. 305-251-6293, www.rarefloweringtrees.com
- Runway Growers, Ft. Lauderdale. 954-584-0269, www.runwaygrowers.com
- Silent Native Nursery, Goulds. 305-975-9081 - WHOLESALE ONLY. For retails sales see ProNative Consulting
- Veber’s Jungle Garden, Homestead. 305-242-9500, www.vebersjunglegarden.com
- For pine needles and melaleuca mulch: Bushel Stop. Pembroke Pines, 954-434-1729
- Florida Association of Native Nurseries (www.FloridaNativeNurseries.org, 321-917-1960)
- Retail and garden articles: See the Guide for Real Florida Gardeners at plantrealflorida.org
- Wholesale > Native Plant and Service Directory
Please ask your neighborhood garden center to carry natives! Numerous other wholesale nurseries carry some natives and are a source for retail nurseries or landscape professionals. Please call the Florida Nursery and Growers Association (FNGA) for more information. Some nurseries with natives are members of the Florida Association of Native Nurseries (FANN).
Also look for these sales and other special events. Many of these events and others are announced in the Dade Chapter FNPS newsletter on this web site, so check it often!
- Native Plant Day (Dade County) usually in March. Call the Florida Native Plant Society at 305-255-6404 or home page.
- Native Plant Fair (Lower Keys) usually in March. Call The Nature Conservancy at (305) 745-8402 x104.
- Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden (South Dade): The Ramble (November), spring sale (April), and Members Day for FTBG members (Oct.). Call 305-667-1651 for dates or see http://www.fairchildgarden.org/.
- Butterfly Days (September) and Bird Day (October) at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden. See http://www.miamiblue.org or http://www.fairchildgarden.org/.
- Tropical Audubon Society (5530 Sunset Dr., South Miami): Plant sales several times/year Call 305-667-7337 or visit http://www.tropicalaudubon.org/.
- Secret Woods Nature Center (Broward County). Special events. 954-791-1030.
- The Gifford Arboretum picnic (Univ. of Miami) in December (limited selection and quantity). 305-284-1302.
- Tropical Ag Fiesta (South Miami-Dade) - summer.
- Redlands Natural Arts Festival (Fruit and Spice Park) - January
- Miami-Dade County's Adopt-a-Tree program (if funded). A variety of free native trees, as well as fruit and flowering trees. Spring-Fall. 305-468-5900 (Team Metro tri-lingual operators). http://www.miamidade.gov/derm/adoptatree.asp
- Or attend DCFNPS meetings and win in the plant raffle -- the best way to get unusual plants!
- Bales of pine needles for mulching pinelands and wildflower gardens, melaleuca mulch, etc.: Bushel Stop (Broward, 954-434-1729).